Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving ... part of my test in cultivating a grateful heart! I've been reminded once again that it's really a decision to be thankful. I am reminded of the picture that came to mind when I was praying at the retreat a few weeks ago. Here it is ---- Playpen Time.
The playpen is green, pink and purple... fab colors of 14 years ago. In each corner is a stack: books, toys, sipper cup, and more toys. The baby is well-rested and has just been fed. Yet, as soon as she takes in her surroundings she begins to wail screams of discontent. She wants freedom from this playpen! And, yet, she is safe and has plenty at her disposal to contentedly occupy herself over the next half hour. My father consistently prayed for a hedge of protection around me as I grew up. When I compared notes mentally to the stories of the other ladies at the retreat, I was overcome with all that I have been taking for granted. I have been protected and now I’m free from many of the battle scars others must overcome. I’m grateful. I’m going to sit down in my playpen and be busy with what surrounds me ... contentedly. It’s playpen time!
And, so, the Roses stayed home this Thanksgiving. We had the option of traveling to Georgia to celebrate. But, we are home. My heart is right there in the heat of the battle again. Will I be cheerfully content or will I mope around and merely “get through” the holidays? Will I dwell on the many families I know who have the privilege of celebrating together? No! I’m going to look at the precious little (and not-so-little!) faces around my table and be grateful! And, I am.
Yesterday we cooked our meal – turkey, sweet potatoes, fresh bread, green beans, cranberry jello, pies – pretty much the works! We ate, took naps/read/watched movies, and played a LONG game of Catan. BTW, I won the Catan game :). So, it was really a good day of being home as a family. Briella had Titus dressed up in some outrageous outfits. It was nice to observe their tents, games of pretend and generally kind behavior towards one another! It was really wonderful to be free of our routine. We all agreed beforehand to “be free” of our computers. So, it took a conscious effort ... but we all did it!!! No phone calls to others, no e-mail, news, etc. We just focused on who we were with today.
But, here I am again sitting in front of the computer. I’d best get going!

HAPPY THANSKGIVING to all! Missing you all in Georgia... enjoy one another and take lots of photos for Aunt Lara.

No comments: